Succession Planning for the Operating Room
“OR Efficiencies provides the tools and assistance to plan the management succession for your operating room. Our process identifies key roles, the management capabilities of existing staff, and cultivates qualified internal candidates to become superior leaders for tomorrow’s perioperative environment.”
Description of Succession Planning Services
The challenges of today’s complex surgical service dictate the need for uninterrupted proactive management to:
- Provide dynamic, stable leadership across all components of perioperative services;
- Facilitate day-to-day communication among key stakeholders;
- Identify opportunities to implement new programs and improved processes enhancing patient care, optimizing physician productivity, and promoting staff retention
Helping Meet Today’s Needs for Surgery Leadership Development
A severe shortage of experienced, surgery leadership is increasingly evident throughout the country. Accomplished Operating Room Directors have been retiring or leaving the field to pursue other career opportunities. Reduced margins have forced hospitals to “flatten” their organizations, limiting opportunities for focused, individualized leadership potential and skill development.
Surgery managers typically evolve from the ranks of exceptional clinicians. Top clinical performers often have the potential to demonstrate a similarly high level of expertise in management, but require significant preparation for these new roles and responsibilities. Surgery administrators frequently fail or give up prematurely during this role transition due to the lack of appropriate preparation, administrative support, definitive career planning and development. Additionally, the critical shortage of nursing professionals feeding the pool of young managerial talent has been exacerbated by the absence of skilled leaders to guide their professional growth.
In response to this deficiency in perioperative leadership development, the OR Efficiencies has designed a comprehensive program that will provide the following:
- A baseline assessment of the overall perioperative organization including leadership skills, competencies, potential and strategic direction;
- An audit of the existing surgery program to quantify point-of-departure performance indicators (dashboard) and establish a template of activities required to achieve positive program change;
- Identification of significant issues, deficiencies and opportunities for leadership enhancement;
- Design of a customized leadership development program which addresses identified learning needs of the organization, individuals and leadership team;
- Facilitation of day-to-day communication among all groups involved in perioperative processes;
- Regular administrative feedback regarding the progress of individual(s) leadership development.